Cauliflower pizza base is a recipe I discovered last year and if you looking to cut back on your carb intake then it is definitely a useful little recipe to make.
Serves – 1 large pizza
For the base
- 1 cauliflower (about 750g/1lb 10oz)
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp of salt
For the topping
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- ½ small bunch basil, leaves picked
- 125g ball mozzarella
- 25g Grana Padano or Parmesan , grated, plus extra to serve
- a few pinches of chilli flakes
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and trim the stalk end, then cut into chunks. Blitz half the cauliflower in a food processor or NutriBullet until finely chopped and ressembles rice. Add the cauliflower rice to a bowl and keep doing this until all the cauliflower is blitzed. Cover with clingfilm and cook on High for about 6-7 minutes.
- Take it out of the microwave and let it sit for a few minutes to cool down before transfering it into a tea towel. Squeeze as much liquid out as possible!
- Add the cauliflower to a bowl and combine with the following ingredients: ground almonds, egg, oregano and lots and lots of seasoning.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and grease with oil. Place the cauliflower onto the tray and then with your hands or a spoon flatten it out to make it look like a pizza, ensure it isn’t too thin. Place in the oven for 18-20 mins until golden brown and starting to crisp a little at the sides.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan heat a little garlic in some oil, add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato purée. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes and then season.
- Slice the onions, mozarella, basil and any other toppings you wish to add (ham, chicken, steak etc)
- Take your pizza base, add the tomato sauce, add your toppings and finish with a little parmesan if you wish.
- Turn up the oven to 220 C and place the pizza with the toppings back into the oven for 10 mins.
- Before serving, shave over a little more cheese, truffle oil even, chili flakes and the remaining basil leaves